First we went on a tour of Historic South Pittsburg. The tour covered some of the old homes and people of days gone by. South Pittsburg was founded in 1873 by James Bowron, a representative of the "Old English Company". He was a noted ironmaster from Stockton on Tees, England and bought 3,000 acres of land rich in coal and iron for the "Old English Company". The town's original name was Battle Creek and changed to South Pittsburg, a reflection of the belief that the city would become the "Pittsburg of the South".
The tour ended up at the Lodge Cast Iron Company. We went on a self guided tour, but there were workers stationed at different locations of the plant to explain what each did in the making of the cast iron ware.