Monday, August 10, 2015

Road to Four Corners and Beyond

The road between Aztec, NM and Cortez, CO is a beautiful drive.  I call the scenery "wow" moments. The rock formations are amazing.




Shiprock

For miles we could see this rock structure rising above the plains.  This is Shiprock.

Shiprock
I never got a real good picture.  This was zoomed in an much as I could.

We arrived near Cortez, CO early afternoon so after setting up, we decided to visit the Four Corners Monument.


Of course we had to have our picture taken at the Four Corners spot.  Many other visitors lay down and spread arms and legs to cover all four states.


I enjoyed shopping the vendors, but was a little disappointed at the quality of items.  I guess I got spoiled at the Santa Fe vendors.  I passed up a great deal on bracelet from a Navajo artist selling his items at Governor's Palace in Santa Fe.

There are vendors in all four corners.


 We tried to get centrally located to the sights so the next day we made our way to Mesa Verde National Park.  Like I said on my FB post, you really should plan for at least two days to visit the park.  We only planned for one day, so we tried to cram as much in as possible.




 There use to be a road around this rock structure before a tunnel was built.  Thankful for the tunnel.





The cliff dwellers had to be amazing architects.  Their homes in the cliffs are amazing.







The Ranger said these were rocks were placed here by the inhabitants. 
.I took many more pictures but you will just have to visit yourself.  Our visit here was a highlight of our RV trip thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment