Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Making a glass paperweight

On a trip to see the area around East Harbor State Park in Ohio, we discovered a nice glass shop where the artists were making glass objects.  Forming glass into objects has always fascinated me.  As we watched a young man form the molten glass, I saw a sign that for a small price you could work with the artist to make a glass paperweight, a vase, or a small bowl.  We inquired and so I was set up to make a paperweight.  This is at the Furguson Gallery in Marblehead, OH. A beautiful store. 

Here he is explaining the first step.  Getting the rod glowing red hot in the oven that is 2500 degrees.

After getting the molted glass on the rod, the rod is then cooled down over a tub with water sprinkler . The rod is cooled down strictly so the rod can be handled.  

The rod needs to be turned slowly so as to keep the glass in the form of a ball.  While turning, the colors are added to the glass.  There were chips of colored glass on a table and we gently rolled the molten glass over the chips.  I choose purple, green and a touch of red.



After this step, more glass is added and then heated in super hot oven.

Wow. Was this oven HOT.  

Next comes adding bubbles by pinching into the glass with tongs.  



The glass is then rolled in a cup.  I know there must be a better name but I forgot to ask.



Here a groove is cut at the base of the ball.

Showing me the colors.

Separating from the rod.

Forming a flat bottom.


The ball is then placed in a cooling oven for 24 hrs.  The oven cools down one degree per min from 1000 degrees, if I remember right.

Here is my finished paperweight!

Reflecting the tree.

A good picture was hard to photograph without proper lighting.


Reflecting the camper.


Too many shadows but still beautiful I think.


From this.

To this.



No comments:

Post a Comment